GLMA’s Affirmations for LGBTQ+ Friendly Healthcare Providers
All providers agree to these affirmations before being listed in the LGBTQ+ Healthcare Directory.
1. I believe all lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) people have a right to competent and sensitive healthcare providers, who understand their unique health concerns and treat them and their families with respect.
2. I offer all health services on an equal basis, regardless of sexual orientation and behavior, gender identity and expression, intersex conditions, marital status, race, ethnicity, body size, mental or physical ability.
3. I believe that all LGBTQ+ identities are part of the range of human diversity and are not a disease, disorder, pathological, unnatural, or sinful. I do not promote or support attempts to change any patient’s sexual orientation or gender identity.
4. I respect the visitation and healthcare decision-making rights of LGBTQ+ patients, their unmarried or married partners, their non-biological or biological children, and anyone they may define as family and/or caregivers.
5. I commit to taking steps to make my practice fully inclusive of LGBTQ+ people in all forms, policies, procedures, and training for clinical and administrative staff.
6. I commit to taking steps to learn about the unique health needs of LGBTQ+ people so that I can provide the highest quality care to them.